Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pregnancy and Essential Oils

I've had this question come up twice in the last week, so I figured it would be good to make a post.  I love Rose, Frankincense, Lavender, and Balance essential oils to pamper expectant mommies while Foot Zoning. These oils are my go to oils in general because they are powerful, so multipurpose it is crazy, pregnant woman can tolerate the smells and like them, and I haven't seen contraindications with these oils. 
I also used Geranium on my friend once a week for few weeks before she gave birth to help with post-partum depression.  The cool thing was, she was planning on taking Geranium with her to the hospital since her other two children were born with jaundice. Geranium is recommended for the liver. That baby boy born without jaundice. She never even had to use it on him.  We were both thrilled!
Don't freak out if you have done any of my no no list.  Pregnancy already has so many worries.  Just try to take what I say and apply it going forward if you feel that it is the right thing for you.  Please do use common sense, caution and talk to a doctor.  Don't sue me, if things go south. I'm not an MD, I'm just a mommy bear.
Rose-Smells nice! Pregnancy can make you not like certain things.  Used for: Depression, PMS, hormone balancing, skin issues (itchy belly and stretch marks), burns, antiseptic, as a beauty product,  is antibacterial, and is an all around good oil for woman's issues.  I haven't seen any contraindications with Rose, and it can be used neat.  It is powerful, but calming like lavender.
Balance-I have many people muscle test for Balance.  It is good for people with seizures (I know first hand from a friend who has seizures and this is what she uses for Foot Zoning), it smells earthy like pine trees (so most woman can handle it during pregnancy), and it helps to just bring sanity to a insane time.
Frankincense-again a powerful oil, but can be used neat.  It is the most miraculous oil I have the pleasure to own. Oft times I use frankincense and Pose together. When in doubt or I have a question about anything, I go to frankincense, even in emergencies.  It is good for skin, bug bites, and antiseptic, burns, stings, brain trauma, pain, cancer,  beauty purposes, colds, flu, AMAZING FOR EXPECTANT AND NEW MOMMIES for many reasons I don't even understand yet, and the musky earth tones are well tolerated by pregnant woman. 
Geranium-Good for bleeding, hormones, the liver (thus my jaundice story), skin rashes, is a mild antiseptic, depression, post partum depression, and as a skin beauty product (stretch marks, itchy belly, etc.). 
Uplift , Serenity, and other calming blends with chamomile are also OK. 
Oils to use caution with during pregnancy (You will hear many things from others, this is just what I have learned):
Clary Sage-This is the oil I would use to induce labor as well as using reflexology points on a woman who is ready to give birth. It is ok for PMS, but be careful with pregnancy.
Peppermint essential oil-Again, you will hear different things. The essential oil is very concentrated.  What I do know, is my good friends who own an oil company and know I Foot Zone, cautioned me that it can induce labor and dry up a mommy's milk supply. So, I just don't even go there. Be careful when diffusing especially. I would use lemon instead for nausea and lavender.
Any Blend with Blue Tansy-That would be Deep Blue.  Blue Tansy is not recommended to be used on small children because it is poisonous when digested.  I would use the other oils above to give a message to a pregnant lady with stiff muscles and joints like the ones listed above.
Wintergreen-It is just too controversial to use on pregnant ladies.  It is also in Deep Blue I believe.
Lemongrass-Especially diffused. I have seen so many women (including myself) that have had a reaction to lemongrass. Oddly enough, I call it a hot oil now.  Where I used it got bright red (even with a ton of coconut oil), and had a rash for three days. It burned immediately when I put it on.  I had a neighbor use it, and everywhere she put it did the same thing. She showed me her elbows and arms.  Another friend had the same reaction on her hip.  Anything that burns me and that many people I know should not be diffused, in my opinion, or used on sensitive individuals like pregnant ladies. I know it is often used on people with yeast infections and for pain, but I would wait to address those issues a different way.  Lemongrass has it's place, but boy, that was a lot of reactions coming form a lot of people.  I only know one person who can tolerate lemongrass and I tell her all the time she is the only person I know who can do it.
Oregano-Use caution with this hot oil in general. You can refer to my other posts. If you already have heartburn issues, it can really be bad to take it internally as it will come up on you.
CONGRATS!  Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment