Sunday, August 23, 2015

Best Ever Light and Fluffy Brown Rice Sourdough Pancakes

Since I am going to start raving about this, I might as well post it now. I purchased a brown rice sourdough stater from cultures for health. Yes, you feed it brown rice flour just like you would feed a sourdough starter wheat. So, IT HAS NO GLUTEN!  I was a little skeptical because brown rice flour is an interesting consistency.  But, I LOVE sourdough, and my one sons is not ready for wheat natural yeast yet.  Can I say, after feeding it according to directions over the last week, the pancakes I have been making exceeded my expectations. They were light, fluffy, and awesome.  The other recipes I read on the internet said that the pancakes will not bubble, and will be more dense.  I, however, used my tried and true proven Alaska Sourdough recipe from Ruth Allman's book that I bought in a bookstore in Alaska and my pancakes are heavenly.  Even at high altitudes.    (Everyone has warned me that high altitude baking is hard.  Everything I've done with natural yeast has been a success so far.  I love love love natural yeast aka sourdough!!!! Natural yeast even worked for me at high altitude in Colorado.) If you are my neighbor, family member or friend, let me know and I will give you some starter for free!

Start your brown rice sourdough starter and feed according to package directions.  Mine took about 4 days to be ready to cook with.  Hug it and love it and name it and make it your very best cooking friend forever.
Pancakes:
2 cups of brown rice sourdough starter (feed your starter and put it back where you keep it for the next time)
4 TBS cooking oil (I use safflower)
2 TBS sugar (this makes the pancakes brown, I use coconut sugar)
1 egg (a no no in my house, so I use 1 TBS sprouted, ground flax)
1/2 tsp salt (I use Real Salt)
1 tsp soda (non-aluminum follow the directions carefully for the baking soda)
Into the sourdough dump, sugar, egg (ground flax), oil and a salt. Mix well. Dilute soda in warm water in jigger glass, (I don't know what a jigger glass is, but it's what the recipe says.  Odds are, being a Mormon, I don't have a jigger glass.) stirring with the little finger.  Fold soda gently into batter. DO NOT BEAT! Stir with easy rhythmic motion turning the spoon. Notice the deep, hollow tone as batter thickens and doubles in volume with bubbles.  Dip better immediately to hot iron.

Thank you God for sourdough, and thank you Alaskan Sourdough sage Ruth Allman.   I love your handwritten book Ruth (she literally hand wrote it), and you make me feel like a pioneer woman. Next stop: Brown Rice Sourdough Bread and trying this recipe in the waffle iron. We shall see how it goes! I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment